No ma'am (or sir, as it were). If I'm going to blather on anyway (as I am wont to do. Surprise!), I'm gonna milk it, yo. Only so many hours in a day, ya know? And see? I'm blathering on already and haven't actually said anything yet. Okay, commence actual information...
Frequently Asked Questions about Cloth Diapering for the Cloth Diapering Newbie
1) What do you think of Thirsties cloth diapers? I like that they're made in the U.S., just want to know what your experience is
I got a couple of Thirsties products in my free stash(es) and I really like them so far. The quality seems good, they're soft on the squishy baby skin, and they have the cover and insert style available, which I prefer, for some reason, over the all-in-one diapers.
2) With the Thirsties, it seems like there are several options to choose from. What's up with all that noise?
What I have from Thirsties are covers that looks like this:
This cover is basically just a waterproof shell that you can put over any absorbent anything that you want to put inside. Old fashioned cloth diapers (aka "pre-folds")? Check! Schmancy microfiber inserts? Check! Things made by other brands? Double check!
3) Have you had problems with the adjustable snaps popping open? How about the velcro - does it seem to be holding up?
So far, no problems with either snaps or velcro. I just prefer the velcro for the adjustability.
4) What type of liner do you prefer? Seems like there are tons of styles to choose from.
So far (keep in mind that the tiny one is only 3.6 weeks old) my favorites are the inserts from Green Mountain Diapers called the Workhorse Diaper. They look like this:
5) Do you wash the wipes with the diapers? Does it seem to be overwhelming from a laundry perspective? And the last one for right now (sorry) do you use a different detergent for the diapers and wipes, or just the same one you use for everything else?
I wash the wipes and diapers together and so far the laundry hasn't overwhelmed me. My girls do help out a lot though and we do a load of laundry almost every day. First I dump the contents of the wet bag (the waterproof bag holding all the ooey gooey diapers) and the wet bag itself, inside out, into the machine. Toss in some Oxy Clean, and start a rinse/spin cycle. After the first 2 minutes, I pause the machine to let the diapers and wipes soak. I trot off and do other chores for a random amount of time.
Then when I remember the laundry, I restart the rinse/spin cycle. When it's over, I throw in the rest of our dirty clothes and do a regular wash cycle. All cold water still, but so far no problems at all.
As for detergent, I make my own using this cloth-diaper-friendly recipe (some detergents will leave a film, so they say, which makes the fabric less absorbent and therefore leaky) which is SO easy and fast:
equal parts Borax, Washing Soda, and Oxy Clean into a container. Shake to mix. Voila!
I use 2 T. for every large load and white vinegar in place of bleach and fabric softener. I hang all my laundry outside to dry. So far, everything has looked great.
Alright, hope that helps a bit! Feel free to ask me any questions, but keep in mind that I am brand spankin' new to all of this too. But I do like it, so there's that.